Tuesday 17 January 2012

Induction and Intro to Palestine

I woke up at around 5am hearing the Adhan coming for a mosque right across the road. For the first time in about 2 years, bar the mornings in Ramadhan, I pulled myself out of bed and read Fajr – These moments would not come often in my life of being in such close proximity to a blessed place on this earth and I wasn’t about to let this opportunity to slip; I promised myself I would make a habit of it. (View from the hotel window)


The rest of the day was taken up with training at the Head Quarters of the UNAIS (United Nations Association International Service) we have been partnered with. The Country Director Khalid gave a very real and frank and honest opinion of the history of the region and the situation on the ground – systematic, planned, well backed, motivated and very saddening situation. This session left me feeling powerless and questioned the motivations behind the work that I would be doing and if it was part of a wider agenda and if it would in fact make a difference? He went through some housekeeping and by the end of the day I was drained both physically and emotionally. The information left me feeling both angry yet powerless at the same time; we live in a sick world no doubt.


The day ended with a meal which I think we got done for at a restaurant and a Shisha.










No comments:

Post a Comment